Saturday, October 6, 2012

Italian Healthcare

To start with the positives, this week I got to experience healthcare and the hospital system in a foreign country. Looking back I'll probably be glad I got to do this. As for now, I wish it was over.

A few days ago my left eye got really red and irritated. I went to the pharmacia to get some drops, which didn't help, so went and saw a "doctor." Walked up 5 flights of stairs into what looked like someone's apartment to have the doctor look at my eye. He was wearing jeans and a ragged t-shirt, did not wash his hands, and started stretching my eye out and poking at it. At the time, I just wanted to leave, I could not see hardly anything and it was painful to open my eye. So he told us to go to the hospital. 2 hours later using public transportation we get there, just to wait another 2 hours while my eye feels like a bonfire is at its peak inside. Found out people in front of me had been waiting 6 hours, so we knew I'd be there all night if we stayed just to get into see someone. Luckily, the nurse put a drop in my eye that numbed it for awhile so I was able to open it to walk down the street. Traveled back to the pharmacia again and got different drops this time that were supposed to heal my whole eye.
Well, that didn't happen. Another day passed, still not able to see a doctor, and my eye was killing me.

Thankfully yesterday, I got into see a REAL eye doctor. Nothing like America that's for sure. His office was in his house, the phones rang every 10 seconds and there was no secretary to answer them. After an hour of waiting, he told me my eye was pretty tricky to fix, but was definitely possible. Apparently I have a corneal ulcer. Freaked out. But at least I got the right drops and medication I needed. Will be going back tomorrow to see if progress has been made.

So basically this whole experience has made me appreciate the quality care you can receive in America. Although there is a lot of controversy in how our healthcare system should be run, we are very fortunate to have the doctors and quality services to help our citizens.

Have been praying to St. Lucy, the patron Saint of eyesight. A little bummed I had to miss out on traveling this weekend, but I know it's better to get healthy first so I'll be able to experience more later.

1 comment: