Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Poland Pilgrimage



So much has happened the past few weeks I don’t even know where to begin. Sorry it has taken me awhile to update this, it’s been crazy busy over here.

I’d like to share with you the amazing journey I had on a six day pilgrimage to Poland last week. It was truly one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I grew so much in my faith and was immersed in a culture most people don’t get to have the opportunity to experience. I mean really, who goes to Poland? I will say, if I was kicked out of America, I would totally move to Poland, that is how amazing it was.


The first few nights we stayed with host families, which was really fun getting to talk to real Pols and learn about their culture firsthand. We visited the museums of St. Maximilian and stood inside his same bedroom, where Pope Blessed John Paul II and Mother Teresa visited. Then we saw the museum and tomb of Blessed Fr. Jerzy Popieleta, a modern day martyr. Later we journeyed to Chestahova where we were given a series of tasks to accomplish, which involved directly talking with the Pols. Luckily most of them spoke English pretty well. It was so exciting when we asked a large group of Pols if they would sing us a song in Polish, they did with no hesitation. I love their culture!!

Then we rode the bus to Krakow, my favorite city. Celebrated Poland’s Independence Day with them in their country! Attended an extremely crowded mass; but it was so cool to see how passionate they are about their faith here and it was a blessing to be a part of it.  People overflowed the streets of Krakow on Independence day, waving flags, the scouts marched in honor of their country-basically an awesome day to be alive in Poland.

During our stay we also had the privilege to have a private meeting with Stanisław Cardinal Dziwisz of Poland! What?! We sat in the same room that JPII would peek his head out the window and talk to people along the street when he visited Poland as Pope.  The Cardinal was actually JPII’s secretary so told us more about him and his experiences. Then we had the opportunity to pray the rosary inside the same chapel JPII was ordained a priest! This gave me the chills. Felt like I was in his presence. Especially since a relic of his was up on the altar. Very holy place. 

Went to the salt mines later in the afternoon. Climbed down 135 meters below the earth’s surface-felt a little closterphobic. Interesting how the miners built their own chapels underground. Just shows again how faithful the Pols are.

The next day we toured the Bell Tower on top of the Wawel Cathedral, the royal tombs where the kings and queens of Poland are buried, along with the Prime minister who died two years ago in a plane crash.  Then we went to a museum of royal treasures and saw JPII’s actual robe and shoes he wore and other belongings of his. SO COOL.
Later that day we went to Auschwitz. Very sad and depressing place. Actually sickening. Prayers for the millions of innocent people who died in this eerie place.

I was so sad to leave Poland. Wish I could’ve spent more time there, but really, I can’t complain-I was coming back to Rome! Although I did miss the peace Poland offered. There were no constantly honking horns, and the streets were clean unlike Rome.
I’m blessed to have had that opportunity, to learn about their culture, and more importantly grow in my faith. 

Peace and blessings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment